Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pancakes and Pecan Syrup

It was Open House last weekend. The menu as always was a pancake festival. Here at Lutherlyn we make our own Maple Syrup. Granted, I have the easy part. I just have to serve the syrup. There is another group of incredible individuals commited to using the Earth's bounty. (Thank you LEEP staff)
This year I was committed to keeping it basic. Emphasinzing some key components of the day... maple syrup, pecan syrup and berry syrup and of course the pancakes.
The menu included.... whole wheat pancakes, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, maple syrup, triple berry syrup, and pecan syrup. And of course fresh pineapple, cantaloupe and strawberries. We even set out blueberry muffins.
I wanted to share our pecan syrup today.

As with many items I don't have an exact recipe. You see, I strongly dislike pecans. So, this was really trial and error. I have made this syrup before, we coated cinnamon rolls with it.

In my first attempt, I used granulated sugar. In the second attempt, I used agave syrup. What a wonderful switch. If you have not used agave syrup, you need to know that it is 3 times sweeter than granulated sugar. I have used it as a subsitution in many recipes.
The agave sweetened pecan syrup was made with the following ingdients.
Butter - about a pound
Pecans - about 1 1/2 pounds
Maple Syrup - 4 cups
Agave syrup - 2 cups
Water 1/2 gallon
cornstarch - about 1 cup mixed with enough water to dilute the cornstarch
vanilla - to taste
salt - just a dash or two


Remember those blueberry muffins I mentioned earlier.....


Till the next time... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment